This article will cover the pros and cons of concrete pool tables and how you can do it yourself at home.
Can you use concrete for a pool/ billiard table?
Yes, Concrete can be used for pool table surfaces, but it has drawbacks that slate does not. Concrete can be machined to achieve a mirror-like finish, and it is frequently used for building facades, among other things.
Why should a concrete pool table be prefered over a regular pool table?
A concrete pool table should be preferred over a regular pool table because using concrete for making a pool table is economical, fast, and durable.
However, this material has both advantages and problems; for example, while concrete gets more robust and durable with time, water can enter into fractures and destroy the concrete, even if the concrete is sealed.
One of the numerous advantages of utilizing concrete in building projects is that it can be shaped into virtually any form and serve any purpose.
How to build a concrete pool table?
You can build a concrete pool table at home or buy online. The concrete pool table is created to handle a game of eight-ball or blackball. Still, participants are invited to establish their own rules, and indeed, the games are allegedly somewhat more competitive and energetic than standard play.
–Steps to build a concrete pool table
- Ensure that the table has at least four legs, each at least one foot in diameter.
- Particleboard coated with Melamine or 12-inch circular fiber concrete molds can be used to make the molds.
- Create at least 28-inch-tall molds and place them in a 3-foot-by-7-foot rectangle. To pour the legs, you may either mix your concrete or use a commercial cement mixer.
- Your pool table’s surface will be cast like a broad, two-inch-thick concrete countertop. Sawhorses can be used to support a melamine particle board mold.
- Fit the mold so that the concrete can be poured straight into the legs already been cast.
- The “mouths” of the six pockets may be formed with metal garden edging.
- Remove the forms and use 180-grit sandpaper to power sand the surface.
- Stretch a pre-cut, weather-proof tablecloth over the concrete surface to complete the table’s look.
- Rubber cushions and weather-resistant pockets should be attached to the side rails to collect the pool balls.
- You can leave your table outside, but keep your cues in a dry place.
-What Materials do you need to build a concrete pool table?
Composed of resin and concrete, the concrete pool table is sturdy enough to live outside. To make a concrete pool table, you need;
- Portland cement
- Rubber gloves (you don’t want to make your hands messy)
- Tub to mix concrete
- Grit sandpaper
- Concrete mix
- Wire mesh
- 1 to 2 bags of concrete (depending on the size of table
-What tools do you need to build a concrete pool table?
Following tools are needed to make a concrete pool table;
- A rebar lattice or an agricultural wire panel is used to strengthen the mold’s core.
- Small shovel
- Flathead screwdriver
- Bolt cutter
- A bladeless reciprocating saw is required to vibrate the mold after the concrete has been poured, ensuring a flawless finish.
- A trowel is required to sand the table’s surface once it has cured for two hours.
How long do concrete pool tables last?
Concrete pool tables can last for decades if proper maintenance is done. It will be long before the pool table has to be repaired or replaced because of its outstanding durability.
Concrete does well in the face of the elements. It can survive the cold and the heat of the sun, allowing the pool table to last through all four seasons with no problems.
What are the pros and cons of a concrete pool table?
For some time now, concrete has been a hot trend—and it shows no signs of slowing down. People increasingly choose concrete over other natural stone options when it comes to countertops, flooring, and dining room furniture.
With that in mind, here are some of the advantages and disadvantages of concrete pool/billiard tables.
- Concrete pool tables are more durable than regular pool tables. Pool tables take a lot of environmental abuse. It might be challenging to keep them looking new, from hot food and beverages to accidents and scratches.
- Concrete pool tables are incredibly environmentally friendly. They’re long-lasting and resistant to heat and scratches, so that they will endure for a long time.
- Concrete pool tables are water-resistant.
- Concrete pool tables make cleaning a breeze because they don’t absorb water. Keeping your concrete pool table clean is as simple as wiping it off with a damp cloth and mild soap.
- For a contemporary home, concrete pool tables are the best option. There’s no need to worry about them seeming out of place in a modern dining area with an industrial or mid-century atmosphere.
- The concrete pool table’s customizability is frequently highlighted as a benefit. Almost everything goes when it comes to the size and shape of these creatures. Owners may mix and match different forms, sizes, and depths to their heart’s content.
- According to one study, concrete pool tables are just as durable as fiberglass pool tables, if not more so.
- Even with sharp things, these pool tables are impenetrable. Concrete pool tables are also the most durable because of their sturdiness.
- The concrete pool table’s sustainability and astounding beauty are two of its significant advantages.
What are the cons of concrete pool tables?
- In contrast to those lined with fibreglass or vinyl, concrete pool tables need more time to construct. A fibreglass pool table may be built in a matter of weeks, but a concrete pool table might take anywhere from six to twelve, depending on the site and the design.
- A concrete pool table’s beginning costs are more than other pool tables, and the prices will continue to rise as the pool table is further customised.
- A concrete pool table will require regular and timely care, even though repairs will be few and far between.
- Compared to other forms of upkeep, the time and money required to maintain a home are high.
Where to buy a concrete pool table from?
It is critical to look just at the highest-quality options when acquiring concrete furniture and tables. In the Midwest, one of the most well-known names in concrete furniture is Lowell Russell Concrete, Inc. in Minnesota.
The Better Business Bureau and Angie’s List, a directory of local service providers recommended by customers, have both awarded them recognition time and time again.
Concrete furniture should only be purchased from a reliable company that gives the best quality work and provides first-rate customer service.
Following are a few web sellers customizing the concrete pool tables for you:
Is a concrete pool table worth the hustle?
Yes, a concrete pool table is worth the hustle and money. Urban spaces exist to promote a feeling of community and friendliness that is accessible to all residents.
This concrete pool table is an excellent use of communal space — it invites people in and provides neighbors an occasion to engage and connect.
You can play pool outside in any weather by building a pool table with a weatherproof material like concrete. Making a concrete pool table from scratch is a labor-intensive project that will take many days to complete, but the result will be a one-of-a-kind addition to your garden.
The bottom line
In a nutshell, composed of resin and concrete, the concrete pool table is sturdy enough to live in its outside surroundings. The material and style also enable it to fit in well with its natural urban surroundings.
The concrete pool table is created to handle a game of eight-ball or blackball. Still, participants are invited to establish their own rules, and indeed, the games are allegedly somewhat more competitive and energetic than standard play.
Before settling on a pool table, weighing all of the advantages and disadvantages is essential. All pool/billiard tables must be installed and maintained by a trained specialist and proper care, whether made of concrete or other material.
Frequently asked questions (FAQS): Concrete pool tables
Can concrete be as good as slate for billiard table surfaces?
Concrete is an option for pool table surfaces. However, it has several drawbacks that slate does not. Compared to other materials, slate is more stable in terms of dimension. Predicted shrinkage and warping in concrete are a given. To manufacture slate flat and rectify small mistakes on the spot, you can use standard woodworking equipment and techniques. In general, corundum or diamond tools are required to machine and finish concrete since it is harder and less homogeneous.
How Much Does a Pool Table Weigh?
Between 600 and 800 pounds is the typical weight range for a concrete pool table. The ultimate weight of your pool table is affected by various factors, including the materials used, the conversion tops, and the table size.
What is the maximum temperature a concrete pool table can withstand?
Significant structural damages may happen to concrete pool tables at temperatures of around 66 to 94 degrees Celsius. Standards adopted this range by specifically specifying that the temperature limit of reinforced concrete is at a maximum of 94 degrees Celsius.
What is the ideal size and weight of a concrete pool table?
The ideal size of a concrete pool table is eight feet in length by four feet in width. The ideal weight of your finished pool table will be roughly 2,000 pounds because of the concrete density.
How to prevent concrete pool tables from sinking?
To prevent your concrete pool table from sinking into the ground, you should plan to pour it into an existing slab or on concrete piers. Wide table legs distribute the weight across a larger surface, reducing the risk of injury. A total of 840 pounds of dry concrete mix will be required. Increase the amount of Portland cement in each bag of concrete by adding two cups. For at least 48 hours, allow the legs to dry out. Forms should not yet be removed.
Why should I go for a concrete pool table?
Concrete pool table advantages extend far beyond its durability. To complete an outdoor artistic landscape, nothing beats the beauty of exquisite concrete furniture and tables. Concrete pool tables, for example, are built to survive the severe seasonal conditions while still looking good for many years to come. Exotic concrete pool tables may be as basic or as elaborate as you choose, but most of these pieces are timeless classics that look great in any outdoor setting.
Melo, F., Costa, I., Valente, T., Frazão, C., Sousa, C. D., Moreira, A., & Sá, J. (2020, March). Urban Furniture in Fiber Reinforcement Concrete with High Durability. In RILEM Spring Convention and Conference (pp. 447-459). Springer, Cham
Faneca Llesera, G., Ikumi Montserrat, T., Torrents Dolz, J. M., Aguado de Cea, A., & Segura Pérez, I. (2020). Conductive concrete made from recycled carbon fibres for self-heating and de-icing applications in urban furniture. Materiales de construcción (Madrid), 70(339), e223-1. DOI: 10.3989/mc.2020.17019
Özalp, F., & Yilmaz, H. D. (2020). Fresh and hardened properties of 3D high-strength printing concrete and its recent applications. Iranian Journal of Science and Technology, Transactions of Civil Engineering, 44(1), 319-330
Maspoli, R. (2019). High-Performance Concrete. Innovation and Supply Chain for Public Art and Urban Furniture. AGATHÓN| International Journal of Architecture, Art and Design, 5, 153-160.
Padmakar, M., Barhmaiah, B., & Priyanka, M. L. (2021). Characteristic compressive strength of a geo polymer concrete. Materials Today: Proceedings, 37, 2219-2222.
Yangfeng, Z., Li, L., & Zhongfeng, Z. (2017). Research on the Design of Concrete Canvas Furniture. Furniture & Interior Design, 05.